While many Ross Valley residents might still be mourning the recent closure of San Anselmo’s Sweetlife Bakery, a new place with baked goods is set to open Tuesday, March 12 in downtown San Anselmo.
Owner Heather Hardcastle, who has been selling her baked goods at the San Rafael Thursday morning Farmers’ Market since 2009, said the new 1,200-square-foot Flour Craft Bakery will be the first entirely gluten-free bakery in Marin.
The business, at 702 San Anselmo Avenue, will offer breakfast pastries, desserts, fresh breads, cookies, cupcakes, seasonal pies and custom cakes. Lunch items will also be available, as well as single-origin coffee from San Francisco’s Sightglass Coffee and loose-leaf teas from Oakland’s Sky-Tea.
Hardcastle, a Culinary Institute of American trained pastry chef, became gluten-free a decade ago and had to teach herself how to make everything using gluten-free foods.
Hardcastle launched a kickstarter campaign in September 2012 to help her earn the funds for the bakery. She reached her 20,000 goal in 30 days with the help of 97 backers.
Check out what else is on San Anselmo - Fairfax Patch:
- Eight Will Vie for Open Fairfax Town Council Seat
- Gestalt Haus Co-Founder Leads Online Campaign to Help Teen to Replace Stolen Bike
- 14-Year-Old Singer Performs with San Anselmo Celtic Musician
- Golden Gate Bridge Switches to All-Electronic Tolling on March 27
- George Lucas Hopes to Open Art Museum in SF