The owner of a Fairfax construction company and the head of community relations for Bank of Marin are among the 14 winners of a 2013 Spirit of Marin Award, Bank of Marin's business awards that will be doled out Sept. 27 at the St. Vincent’s School for Boys in San Rafael.
Myles Babcock of Fairfax’s Babcock Construction and Joan Capurro, of Bank of Marin, are among the recipients, who are chosen by the chambers of commerce in their respective towns to "recognize business leaders for their commitment to local communities and their success in business," said Bank of Marin President and CEO Russ Colombo.
Babcock helped the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce and others raise funds for the Fairfax Mountain Bike Mosaic, a ceramic tile art installation in downtown Fairfax. He also helped with the design, tile work, plumbing and construction of the project.
Capurro is being recognized because she volunteers more than 500 years a year and, in her role at Bank of Marin, has coordinated volunteer opportunities and board positions for more than 200 employees.
Here are all 14 of the recipients:
• Corte Madera Chamber of Commerce – Michael J. Harlock, AIA
• Fairfax Chamber of Commerce – Myles Babcock, Babcock Construction
• Hispanic Business Chamber of Marin – Hilda Castillo, St. Vincent De Paul Society
• Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Marin – Scott Adams, Comcast
• Larkspur Chamber of Commerce – Matthew Broadway, Madison Company Realtors
• Mill Valley Chamber of Commerce – The Aversa Family, La Ginestra Restaurant
• Novato Chamber of Commerce – Phillip and Eva Schlenker, Continental Jewelers
• Novato Chamber of Commerce – Brendan Moylan, Moylan’s Brewery & Restaurant
• San Anselmo Chamber of Commerce – Joan Capurro, Bank of Marin
• San Rafael Chamber of Commerce – David Haydon, Il Davide Restaurant
• San Rafael Chamber of Commerce – Heidi and Gary Kuhn, Roots of Peace
• Sausalito Chamber of Commerce – Tom Campagna, On-Site Relocation and Real Estate
• Tiburon Chamber of Commerce – Jim Wood, Marin Magazine
• West Marin Chamber of Commerce – Richard Kirschman
Lunch reservations are $50 per person before September 20 and $60 after that date. To make a reservation, go to:www.spiritofmarin.com