Town Council Meeting Notes
At the meeting of Tuesday, November 13, the Town Council took the following actions:
- Accepted the Lansdale Avenue Fish Passage Project and authorized staff to file a Notice of Completion.
- Approved the San Anselmo Chamber of Commerce’s application for the Annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony event scheduled for Saturday, December 1, 2012, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Appointed Judy House to the Planning Commission and Michael De Angelis to the Tax Equity Board.
- Approved the resolution of intent to abandon a portion of a public right-of-way adjacent to 39 Madera Avenue.
- Approved the location and installation of four (4) electric vehicle charging stations on Town property in the Magnolia Avenue Parking Lot and authorized the Town Manager to execute the necessary agreements for the purchase and installation, to be paid for by grant funding.
- Approved the resolution adopting an update to the San Anselmo General Plan Housing Element.
- With respect to the Memorial Park Dual-Use Facility:
1) Approved the Funding Agreement between the County Flood Control District Zone 9 and the Town for the preparation of a grant application for the proposed Memorial Park Dual-Use Facility for Recreation and Flood Control Detention Basin.
2) Approved the resolution authorizing the Town Manager to submit the grant application to State Department of Water Resources (DWR) for a Memorial Park Dual Use Facility.
3) Authorized Town Manager to execute a contract with Stetson Engineers to provide consulting services for Memorial Park grant application for Department of Water Resources Prop IE Grant.
- Provided an update on the sharing of Police services with the Twin Cities Police Authority and actions underway to consolidate (more below).
Police Consolidation Update
At the meeting of Tuesday, November 13, the Council received an update on the financial ramifications of consolidating our Police Department with Twin Cities Police Authority. Preliminary estimates show that consolidation can save the Town close to $900,000 annually over the cost of a standalone police department. To see the powerpoint presentation from the meeting, go to http://www.townofsananselmo.org/index.aspx?nid=671. We are working on updating this page with more consolidation information.
Winter Storm Preparedness
As the hurricane on the East Coast reminds us, winter is around the corner. Now is a good time to prepare for winter storms. The Town website has a lot of good information about winter preparedness at http://www.townofsananselmo.org/index.aspx?nid=297.
Here are some tips for getting your home ready for winter weather:
Check Your Furnace
If your home has a forced air heating system, have it inspected by a licensed heating contractor or by PG&E, which offers free furnace inspections and pilot relights to its customers. A thorough inspection will include checking for potentially hazardous conditions that can occur as heating equipment ages, as well as ensuring that the unit and ductwork are operating as efficiently as possible. The furnace filter should also be replaced at this time.
This is also a good time to inspect and clean the clothes dryer duct of lint and other debris, which should be done at least once a year. A clean dryer duct will significantly reduce the risk of fire while decreasing the energy and time needed to dry your clothes.
Inspecting and repairing the weather stripping on your doors and windows will ensure that the warm air insidestays inside as long as possible. Sealing cracks and crevices around the exterior walls and ceilings with caulk and/or spray foam sealant will also reduce heating bills by preventing heat loss to the exterior. For more information on ways to improve your homes energy efficiency contact a certified energy consultant or the San Anselmo Building Division.
Rain, Drains, and Gutters
Along with winter comes the rain, which means it's time to clean the roof gutters and ensure that they drain into an approved storm drainage system. We receive numerous calls from Town residents each year shortly after the first significant rains of the season concerning to water runoff in places it shouldn't be. Besides the mess, sediment laden runoff water can cause damage to adjacent properties and to the environment. So please have your storm drains inspected by a landscape or plumbing contractor to ensure proper functioning. If you currently have a renovation project underway that has affected the grade around your home, please call the Building Division as soon as possible and we will gladly assist you in complying with the Town's jobsite winterization requirements.
The San Anselmo Police Department is pleased to announce that the Town is providing free parking to holiday shoppers in San Anselmo. The free holiday shopping period begins on Friday, November 23, 2012 and will continue through Tuesday, January 1, 2013. During this period the parking meters will not be operating. As always, however, the disabled, red zone and other safety related parking violations will be enforced.
San Anselmo News, published weekly on Fridays, is available at the San Anselmo Town Hall, Library, on the Public Notice Bulletin Board. It is also available on the Town’s website, www.townofsananselmo.org, and by email subscription.