At a special meeting on Saturday, Dec. 8, the Marin Municipal Water District Board of Directors unanimously voted to appoint Liza Crosse, administrative aide to Marin County Supervisor Steve Kinsey, to fill a vacancy on the MMWD board.
As a director, Crosse will represent the 37,000 residents in MMWD’s Division 3, which encompasses communities in Ross Valley, including San Anselmo and Fairfax, as well as the San Geronimo Valley.
Crosse, a Woodacre resident, will be formally sworn in at the Dec. 19 MMWD board meeting.
MMWD originally received 14 applications to fill the board vacancy, resulting from the recent resignation of David Behar, who moved outside the boundaries of Division 3.
The applicants had included:
- Fairfax Councilman Ryan O’Neil
- San Anselmo resident Barry Spitz, an author and Dipsea Race historian
- Fairfax resident Peter Lacques, who ran for the MMWD board in 2012
- Fairfax resident Jacquie Phelan, a well-known mountain biker
- Fairfax resident Kiki La Porta, president of Sustainable Marin
- Fairfax resident Pat Echols
Crosse was selected from among six finalists who were invited for interviews on Saturday. In her application for the post, Crosse said "Public service is my vocation and service on this board will enable me to work and contribute in my greatest area of interest: water resources." Crosse will fill the last two years of a four-year term and already plans to run for re-election when the current term expires in 2014.
"It was really an extraordinary field of applicants, and we are fortunate to have so many talented people interested in water and the watershed," MMWD Board President Cynthia Koehler said in a release. "We are looking at a variety of ways to retain the engagement of a number of the candidates. Liza in particular has very deep community connections and a long history of volunteer work with MMWD on everything from rates to watershed protection. She is not only very involved in the life and concerns of the San Geronimo Valley, but she is deeply engaged in water and environmental issues touching Marin more broadly as well."
Crosse has been active in many community groups with a connection to MMWD. She is currently a member of MMWD's Water Rate Advisory Committee, a citizens’ advisory committee. She is also the chair of the Lagunitas Creek Technical Advisory Committee and a member of the Tomales Bay Watershed Council. MMWD is a member of both of those groups. Crosse is also active in many San Geronimo Valley organizations.
Check out what else is on San Anselmo - Fairfax Patch
- San Anselmo Council Approves Police Consolidation
- VIDEOS: Rescued Great Horned Owl Gets Released in San Anselmo
- Council Picks Coleman as San Anselmo 2013 Mayor
- San Anselmo blotter: Coyote Sightings and Lots of Petty Theft
- Fairfax blotter: The Neighbor Came in Through the (Bathroom?) Window
- Lifeline on the Bridge: CHP's Kevin Briggs