Have you considered riding a bike to work, or for local errands, but haven't tried it yet? Are you a student who would love to ride a bike to school, but you can't afford to buy one? Well, the Marin County Bicycle Coalition's (MCBC) Bike Locally Challenge is for you.
The Marin County Bicycle Coalition (MCBC) is launching the 3rd Bike Locally Challenge this May in an effort to get more people on bikes and to highlight the many recently opened bicycle facilities in Marin County. MCBC is looking for six Marin residents to take the challenge; including a Parent/Child team.
New this year - Cargo Bike Challenge!
Already a bicyclist but looking for a new challenge? Been dreaming of using a cargo bicycle? Now's your chance!
Yuba Bicycles is donating a Mundo Cargo Bike for the 2012 Bike Locally Challenge, we are accepting applications from families and businesses who believe this bike will change their lives. This category is open to all cyclists who do not currently use a utility bike. Tell us how your family would benefit or business would thrive if you had a cargo bike in your life. Tell us how you plan to use it over the 6-month Challenge and meet those goals and you get to keep the bike! You'll be responsible for the basic requirements of the Challenge see below.
Here's how it works:
- You apply for one of the Bike Locally Challenge positions.
- If selected, MCBC will set you up with a brand new bicycle and accessories for 6 months (May- October).
- You make a commitment to ride your bicycle a minimum of 12.5 miles a week and you agree to document your bicycle riding via Facebook, Twitter and/or blog posts and in the local media.
- MCBC will provide you with a Bicycle Mentor for the duration of the challenge to train you on basic street skills, to help plan your routes, and to take training rides with you.
- Each ride earns you points, which go towards the purchase of your bicycle. If you get 500 points, you get to keep the bike for free!
Who's eligible? You must be a Marin County resident who doesn't use a bicycle for transportation or frequent recreation (Does not apply to Cargo Bike Applicants).
All applicants are required to attend 6 meet-ups and agree to forfeit the bicycle if they are unable to meet the requirements. All applicants must have health insurance and applicants under 18 years of age need written permission from their parents.
Apply today at www.marinbike.org or call 415-272-2756. Deadline for entry is Monday April 6, 2012 at 5pm.